Wednesday 17 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey 2017-2018 Day 4 Activity 2- Country Calender

Country Calendar
Image result for hyundai country calendarI absolutely love Country Calendar. Every Sunday at 7 pm, with no fail my brother and I watch country calendar! It is definitely one of my favourite TV shows!
The question is, what do I think is interesting and challenging about farming?

The interesting things are:

  • The size of machinery has changed. Tractors, ploughs etc are now bigger and more powerful
  • Working with animals is interesting because most people work with people.
  • The technology has changed farming a lot, to farmers it has made it easier. For example the dog collar. Farmers use this technology to control their dogs on the farm. On their phone will be an app which connects to a chip in the dogs body which allows you to control your dog.


The challenging things are:

  • That you may feel isolated as many farms are a good couple of kilometers out of towns/cities. 
  • The size of farms can make it difficult to manage
  • Each day your job changes. For example, you could milk the cows on one day and the next day you could be planting crops.
  • That the weather changes. You could be baking in the sun planting. the next day it could be raining really heavy. 

Another question was, when you are older would you like to be a farmer. My answer is, yep, certainly. My farm would be a sheep farm. I have my own sheep who had lambs this year! We have 1 Ram, 4 Ewes and each of these ewes had 1 lamb each. So this is good practice for when I am older.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Will! Happy New Year and boy you sure have had a busy one. What with a birthday, a camping trip and your Summer Learning Journey! You know what-Country Calendar is one programme we like to watch too! Ted especially likes the dogs and often barks at them! I am very impressed with the effort you have put into your blogging and I look forward to working with you as a senior in our school. Henry gave me some 'Kings' t-shirts etc and I wondered if you and perhaps Griffin Thomas could get a competition going in the first few weeks at school to encourage some younger kids to play. What do you think? Didn't he play a cracker game last night!
    Mrs O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora William,

    Another outstanding post from you. Well done, William! It's great to see you have used paragraphs to organise your different ideas. I like the way you've used bullet points to list interesting and challenging things about being a farmer. You're spot on with saying there is something different to do each day. I think farmers would have to have a wide understanding and be very knowledgeable about how to look after their farm. It would take a lot of learning and practicing to be able to be a good farmer, but it sounds like you are well on your way!

    Is that a picture of your own lambs? Do they have names? They look adorable! We don't have very many farms here in Auckland, but I bet there are plenty in the West Coast. I think being a farmer would be an awesome job. :)

    Keep up the great blogging!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.